American style home in San Isidro de El General, Perez Zeledon situated in a nice neighborhood just 5 minutes from town. The construction is cement block with a total area of 2,700 square feet. Most of the interior ceilings and trim are made from exotic hardwoods; all tile floors throughout. The house has an interesting layout with a sunken living room and many arched windows and doors. Overall the property is in excellent condition and was well cared for. Anyone considering purchasing a home of this size and budget in this area should definitely see this listing. The asking price is well within the current market value.
5 bedrooms / 3 bathrooms: The master bedroom has a private bath, clothes closet and two large arched windows, one with a view out into the south side orchid nursery. There are 2 smaller bedrooms that share an adjoining bath. The 4th bedroom is dedicated to a home office. The 5th bedroom at the rear of the house has a private bath and entrance from the inside as well as the outside which could be used for a renter or live-in domestic worker. A central, on demand hot water heater connects to all 3 bathrooms.
Living area: The formal living room joins the dining room which connects to the kitchen. The kitchen window looks out into the north side orchid nursery. A spacious family room with lots of natural light is positioned at the rear of the house and also connects to the kitchen. There is a small library nook in between the living / family rooms.
Laundry area: The laundry room connects to the outdoor solar patio that has clear plastic roof panels, used for drying clothes. Inside the laundry area is a small aviary for birds.
Outside and yard:
- 2 secure storage sheds: both are cement block, the newer one has block walls and a poured cement ceiling for additional security.
- Shed / roof extension: in the very rear of the property extends out about 20 ft. from the back property wall, currently used to store wood and equipment.
- Workshop / BBQ area: recently remodeled as a workshop including a new roof, has running water and 110v / 220v power. There is a built-in coal/wood fire pit in a red brick countertop with lower shelving and a sink, great for afternoon BBQs or parties.
- 3 Nurseries: 2 custom built and specially designed orchid nurseries with shelving and overhead structure for hanging potted orchids and other plants. There is also a full sun nursery for box / container style planting of vegetables and herbs.
- Perimeter wall and gates: The property has a cement block wall around the entire perimeter with two electric gates on the street frontage, one for cars and one for people.
- Parking: in addition to the single carport under the main house roof there is a free standing carport for one vehicle - total off street parking space for 3-4 cars.
Neighborhood: The house is walking distance to two pulperias, a bus stop, dentist office, supermarket, bakery, a bank and a hardware store.
About Perez Zeledon: Essentially the commercial hub of the southern zone, Perez has a public hospital and variety of private medical doctors, homeopath doctors and medical clinics, good dentists / orthodontists, lawyers, accountants, architects and banks. The largest farmers market in the southern zone is in Perez and operates two days every week. The market has an organic section popular with many expats. The town's old central market is open 6 days a week and there are several modern supermarkets and bakeries. Perez has a handful of good restaurants, numerous local eateries, coffee shops and a couple of upscale bars, two hotel / casinos, a McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Subway and Taco Bell. The two sports clubs / parks offer tennis, swimming and soccer / basketball leagues. There are more than a dozen small hardware stores and three larger modern hardwares / building supplies, several auto parts shops, mechanic shops, domestic appliance outlets, clothing stores galore and many second hand clothing shops. Most all of the goods and services you will need can be found locally.
Climate - At 2,500 feet of elevation the climate is temperate in the surrounding valley. The Pacific coast and spectacular beaches are only a 45 minute drive to the west. The cool climate of the Talamanca mountains is also just a short drive to the east.
Schools - There are several public schools and two private schools in Perez. The two private schools, both considered excellent in academia are Escuela Cientifica and Escuela El Valle. Although there are no sports teams or marching bands the kids stay busy with soccer, private music lessons, after school fitness and exploring the outdoors. My 15 year old daughter has gone to El Valle since kindergarten which is a semi-bilingual school (Spanish first language, English second language). Some teachers and members of the school board speak English. Escuela Cientifica has won more academic awards than any other school in Costa Rica.
Perez Zeledon is the perfect size town, not too big and not too small. Not being a popular tourist destination actually makes Perez a nicer place to live, not overpriced and overrun by gringos. The foreign expats that have settled in the area over the past several years will tell you that Perez is one of the best, if not the best place to live in all of Costa Rica.